Al Muratsuchi has called for greater oversight of the Torrance Refining Company and has created a detailed, six-point refinery safety plan to help keep families in Torrance safe. This plan, includes a ban of modified hydrofluoric acid, real-time air quality monitors, a community disaster preparedness plan and an effective alarm system that can warn residents of any emissions.
Al Muratsuchi’s 6 Point Refinery Safety plan:
- Ban the use of highly toxic Modified Hydrofluoric Acid. Work with the Torrance refinery, refinery workers, and the City of Torrance to transition to safer alternative technology.
- Install real-time air quality monitors surrounding the Torrance Refinery and provide real-time data to South Bay residents to monitor toxic chemicals and emissions.
- Install and regularly test an effective alarm system capable of warning South Bay residents of accidents or potentially harmful events at the Torrance Refinery.
- Update the Community Disaster Preparedness Plan to include a potential Modified Hydrofluoric Acid release, and ensure that local schools, hospitals, elderly care facilities, playing fields, and other areas where people congregate regularly review and practice the plan. Educate local residents on the dangers of Modified Hydrofluoric Acid and how to deal with a release.
- Form a Torrance refinery community advisory panel to focus on disaster preparedness, community education, and resident input and concerns.
- Work with the Torrance refinery, refinery workers, and City of Torrance to ensure that the jobs and economic benefits of the refinery continue to benefit Torrance and the South Bay.
Making the Torrance Refinery Safer
Last year, I successfully worked to make the Torrance Refinery safer for neighbors and workers. I am proud to have:
- Established air quality monitoring at fenceline and in the community, paid for by the refinery
- Created a community alarms and alerts program to alert the community in the event of an emergency
- Established a state-wide refinery safety task force to bring all the various entities who regulate refineries together to streamline regulatory processes and ensure that agencies are sharing information.