I’ve helped restore billions in funding for public schools and higher education that had been cut during the recession.
- This year, I authored legislation to increase funding across the board for schools. Districts would benefit from increased investments to public education for a variety of purposes, including scaling up high school programs to offer a full range of college and career preparation options; additional support for special education; additional support for English language learners; providing a broad range of professional development opportunities for new and veteran teachers; and implementing other strategies designed to enhance student achievement and close the achievement gap.
- Championed $74.5 billion in K-12 Education spending in this year’s budget.
- An increase of $50M to After School and Education Safety Program to increase provider reimbursement rates to keep kids off the streets and out of trouble.
- Received the Shining Star Award from the Southern California Regional Occupational Center for my efforts to save career technical education programs.
- Last year I worked with Governor Brown to secure $10 million in the state budget to save SoCalROC and its valuable job training programs.
Local classroom teachers
California Teachers Association
California School Employees Association